The history of Crowle & Ealand
Crowle is a small town and civil parish on the Isle of Axholme in North Lincolnshire, England. It lies on the Stainforth and Keadby Canal and has a railway station. The town includes its suburb of Windsor.
Notable buildings in the town include the parish church, in which can be seen the Crowle Stone runic cross shaft, and the Gothic revival market hall.
The present settlement developed between Mill Hill, 18 metres (59 ft) above sea level, and the River Don. The Don flowed into the River Trent just north of Crowle and developed as a busy route for shipping, including international trade.
Within the St Oswalds church one can now find the Crowle Stone, a richly carved runic stone. On one side there is a carved Celtic knot pattern and on the other side are the images of three men, the two upper men are facing each other and could be dancing. Below the third man is riding upon an ass or perhaps a horse. At the bottom of the stone there is a runic inscription.
Dating back to possibly the 8th century and standing nearly seven feet high there is much speculation about the stone’s origins – it may have been part of a stone cross or possibly a viking beacon stone. The preservation of the stone is almost certainly as a result of the Norman masons reusing it as a door lintel when the church was built. It was only removed from the wall and set up within the church itself in 1919.
For more information please visit the Crowle Community Forum heritage page